As with most of Apple’s UK boxed releases US components were substituted when stocks ran out- not that anyone cared until years later – when collectors dug out their copies of All Things Must Pass only to find that it was housed in a US box, or worse still it had US inner sleeves ! 🙂
Or ….John & Yoko’s obscure release -The Wedding Album. Even George Harrison complained at the time, that John & Yoko were affording world-wide importance to their ever action. The box set didn’t sell and even those loyal, diehard, completist fans must have been disappointed? Not only is it hard to find a complete set, it’s near impossible to find one with the outer box in acceptable condition. And even harder still to find one with full UK box and contents. Not only were boxes with the US SMAX# printed on them used but also the postcard, wedding cake photo and white bag were substituted.
Regardless of what anyone else may think, I love the “John & Yoko” period. While both their previous works, Two Virgins and Life With the Lions, could be dismissed as self indulgent, one time listening, the Wedding Album is true ephemera, an artefact, and worth a couple of listens….it’s very funny.
The A-side, when they repeat “John”… “Yoko” to each other for the whole side of the LP, gets bizarrely hilarious. Meanwhile, the B-side gets more serious, documenting the nitty-gritty of their Peace Campaign.
Condition : Overall : Outer box better than VG+, Contents VG++/EX
we also have an incomplete UK box set here : John Lennon & Yoko Ono UK 1969 Wedding Album (incomplete)
• Box : UK lid with only “Apple Records” printed on the bottom edge , No US SMAX#. VG+
Surprisingly not squashed, all four corner of the lid appear to be intact without being retaped. Wear around the edges and an area of surface loss (top right) where a sticker has been removed. Bottom tray : Discoloured/ stained on back, inside clean. Again the corner are holding up well -see photos.
• Photo booth strip- minor creasing
• Postcard : EX
• Thick white plastic bag containing 12″x12″ photo of the wedding cake. (The US bag is thin plastic, and both the bag and photo have MFD in the USA printed in the corner). Bag has wrinkled with age, photo is near fine.
• Wedding certificate (glued onto inside box lid)
• Press booklet : Minor wear & handling.
• Fold out poster of the wedding photos : Folds out 6 x 12″ LP size : Minor wear & handling.
• Poster of ”Bed Peace” Folds out 3 x 12″ LP size Minor wear & handling.
• LP : EX+ No significant marks but has been played – one spindle mark on label.
• Cover : Minor handling creases + correct Patents Pending white inner sleeve.