Not only an important mid sixties Warhol item but also an essential Velvet Underground collector’s rarity.
Stated First Printing circa November 1967 : ( while there was only one printing – softback and hardback editions) Random House, New York: & Toronto,Canada (simultaneously) printed in Japan: 28 x 22 cm.
Please read BLOG for background story & details.
2x Full “Andy Warhol” signatures- on cover & diagonally across title page – see photos + 10 multi-media/ pop ups items initialled “aw”as detailed below – also refer to photos.
Condition: Overall Very Good : Boards front cover minor handling creases and corner bump : bottom right, also minor bump top right next to where Warhol has signed.
Back cover : Creases and light scratches.
Binding has held together well, the stitching on book is notorious for coming loose. Condition of each pop-up detailed below.
1) a pop-up castle , no rips or tears : perfect condition. Initialled bottom right corner
2) accordion no longer squeaks- as will most copies. Initialled twice, on preceding page and under accordion.
3) a pop-up bi-plane : unsigned or initialled.
4) a spring-mounted disc featuring reviews of Warhol’s film Chelsea Girls -still attached with original tape. Initialled on disc.
5) a pop out dodecahedron. This was supposed to be “sprung loaded” & sealed between two pages. When the pages were unsealed it was supposed to pop into a sphere. All three tabs have been opened to reveal dodecahedron, which is still attached by original string. The elastic band is present but perished and attached at one end. Initialled on dodecahedron.
6) A flexi-disc depicting Lou Reed that was designedto be torn out and played at 33rpm. Because it features Nico talking over snippets of I’m Waiting for the Man and Femme Fatale it has become an ultimate completist (along with Aspen #3) Velvet Underground rarity. The disc is unattached, the cardboard has curled, despite being play tested ( it plays through without jumping but with expected noise from poor pressing) this can’t be guaranteed since the card might continue to curl. Initialled
7) a fold-out sheet with nose & rainbow overlays. Complete, no rips or creases :Initialled
8) a pop-up Hunt’s Tomato Paste can, Initialled twice, once on top of the can and as shown
9) 8 tear-out ‘For a big surprise’. The idea was that Warhol’s signature disappeared. Clearly the former owner did try this – 6 are still attached and two have been tested- still present but a bit mushed at top -Not Initialled .
10) Balloon. the notorious silver balloon with neon pink “INDEX” printed on it . As with 99.9% of copies, fused between the pages creating a brownish stain on the adjacent pages. A balloon shape can bee seen between the two pages marked “blank” one of which Warhol has also Initialled .
Given that in order to fully enjoy your book you were required to destroy several elements, this copy came from the estate of Dorothy Blau, a Miami art dealer and friend of Warhol’s. This copy is not one of the 50 signed hardback edition, but a a personalised gift from Warhol.
Accompanied by two printed sheets from Blau’s estate detailing her relationship with Warhol.